Saturday, August 31, 2013

Is Fall Here Yet?

    The weather keeps playing with us - it was extremely hot earlier in August (when in the past we've already started training) and then it cooled off for about two weeks. I've been training for a 1/2 marathon myself, so I didn't stress too much about running - feeling certain we were on the road to cooler temperatures...and because a recent conversation with Scott reminded me that for the older dogs, they just don't need so many early runs. But I was glad the yearlings got a few runs before the temperatures and humidity rose - taunting us with rain and 60 degrees!
    I'm also excited to announce that in October, Urchin will be joining us from Alaska! For those who followed my adventures in Alaska, he was a yearling that became my main leader. He led a lot last year (again on a yearling team since he was a young yearling the winter I worked with him). All the dogs from Scott are excellent athletes and I look forward to having Urchin on the team again!
    This season should be interesting; the seven yearlings from S. Dakota are beginning to sort themselves out and I'll be working with four on the team, and then all extra dogs will run with Mouse's pups (Frost, Peppermint and Jingle) to give them as much mileage as I have time to give them this winter. They're just a few months too young to run with the "big dogs". In addition, although I'd love to race Mouse for a season, I think I'll be looking for some Razz or Mambo pups...unless I can get her back up to Alaska to get bred.
    Here's some pictures from our run the other day:
Mocha & Mambo leading us out, Jersey/Zoomey in point.


No comments:

Post a Comment