Monday, June 29, 2015

A Milestone - Over 125 Posts!

    This is the 126th post on this blog! That's exciting...I hope you've enjoyed the glimpse into my adventures, I sure enjoy sharing them with you all.
    In commemoration of this milestone (well, the 125th post was actually the milestone but I wanted to wrap up the 2014 Race to the Sky first), I found an incomplete post I started and never finished...I can't remember exactly where I was going to go with it, but maybe you can figure it out...I may have said it before, but I think life is one great adventure, so regardless of where I meant to take the post in 2012, the quotes are inspiring...

*****************
Post started on 3-12-12 
(started in Alaska, shortly before I left)

    How different are real-life adventures from those one reads about in books! It's probably a good thing. Since coming here I've realized I put my written characters through scenarios I wouldn't actually want to be in...
    I think the conversation between Frodo and Sam in the Lord of the Rings, about their own adventure and what people reading it would say, is worth remembering.


    "Yes, that's so," said Sam. "And we shouldn't be here at all, if we'd known more about it before we started. But I suppose it's often that way. The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo: adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folks of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport, as you might say. But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually - their paths were laid that way, as you put it. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on - and not all to a good end, mind you, at least not to what those inside a story and not outside it call a good end. You know, coming home and finding things all right, though not quite the same - like old Mr Bilbo. But those aren't always the best tales to hear, though they may be the best tales to get landed in! I wonder what sort of tale we've fallen into?"
Pg 696 - 697

    "What a tale we have been in, Mr Frodo, haven't we?" he said. "I wish I could hear it told! Do you think they'll say: now comes the story of nine-fingured Frodo and the Ring of Doom?"
Pg 929

No comments:

Post a Comment