Friday, March 25, 2016

Race to the Sky 2016: Part 2

    We left Whitetail right on time, in a flurry of snow. While glad for the snow, because it helped on the sparsely covered roads, I couldn't seem to keep it out of my face - no matter which direction we went. Even in the hills, it kept coming down!
    To make matters worse, the melting snow and wind had knocked down some markers so at one point we went straight instead of turning left...fortunately I happened to look over and realized my mistake. However, the dogs decided they wanted to go back to Whitetail and then ended up in a person's driveway - I guess since they had their light on, the dogs thought it would be a good place to visit.
    I felt bad to be shouting commands at midnight by someone's house, but there was no way I could get off the sled - the ice was slick and there was no way to set a hook. Someone turned off the light and the dogs seemed to take that as a cue that they weren't welcome there! Needless to say, I was thrilled to get off the plowed road onto the snowmobile trail again.


    It seems to alternate years as to whether I have trouble keeping awake during the last 20 miles into Seeley...this year was one of those years! I was soooo looking forward to a nap in Seeley, where I intended to take another 4 hours - as my plan was to run 6 hours (or so) and rest 4 hours as a schedule.


    I don't really remember much about Seeley, except that we parked on a tight corner and the dogs seemed to eat better. I did the dog care - feeding, foot ointment and wrist wraps, then stumbled inside for food and sleep. I definitely feel for handlers at Race to the Sky - because they have to sit out with the dogs constantly.


    Coming out to hook up I noticed Summer's wrist was sore. Although I considered running her out of it, I knew she'd been kicked by the moose and I'd had to lay her off for the same wrist earlier. So, much to my chagrin, I dropped her. Funny thing is that I'd been thinking to myself earlier in the season how great it was that it didn't seem to matter which dogs I ran - the team seemed so consistent, "no one seemed to be indispensable." Careful what you think! I did not really want to drop one of my best dogs!


    But it couldn't be helped and I left for Owl Creek with 11 dogs on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment