Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas

    I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I wasn't sure how mine would go, being away from home and all...but it went better than expected.
    Christmas Eve the Burmeisters were gone to town all day to pick up family from the airport, so we cut up twelve 50lb blocks of meat into snacks. It took a few hours, bagging it and then burying them in the snow to keep them frozen.
    That evening I went with Bill to Christmas Eve mass at the little catholic church in Nenana. It was nice to go, I've really missed our church at home, and I was glad he invited me because otherwise I would've been all alone for the evening at the kennel.
    The next morning I was up early (5am our time) because my brother Garrett called and was "sharing" his stocking with me. Alas, the chocolate couldn't be virtually enjoyed! I was disappointed that my package I'd mailed over 2wks ago didn't get home in time, AK postal service really is slow...
    After breakfast, I walked over to Bill's to give Leila and Bill their gifts. I felt bad because as I walked up the steps to give Bill his I dropped the candycane and it broke...sorry Bill!
    Then I ran the dogs, while Leila and Scott rode the snowmobile ahead of me to groom the trail. I guess Leila got really cold: it was -3 at the kennel and usually about 10 degrees colder on the trail. The wind on the flats really gets you.
    In the afternoon I had a good talk with my friend, Josi, in Idaho and then caught up with Wendy, a friend in MT. Then Scott and I fed the dogs and headed over to Bill's for Christmas dinner. He told some stories about the 'old days' Iditarod's and we played a card game Leila taught us called "Cheat". We were all laughing so hard the game moved very slowly, but it was a lot of fun.
    I want to wish everyone a late Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment