Sunday, October 21, 2012

October Update

    We are still plugging away at miles of training. We are now at 18 mile training runs, hopefully bumping up to 22 miles on Thursday. Our first 18 mile run was an adventure. I put Razz (who led a bit for me in AK) and Duke (new from Lanette) in lead. We'd had a lot of wind and at the very top of my steep, narrow 4-wheeler trail in the mountains, we were stopped by a pile of fallen trees in the trail.
    This led to a huge tangle and ended with me forgetting that I'd put the 4-Wheeler in reverse and wondering (worrying!) why I couldn't get it started all the way down. I learned I can actually make it down safely without the engine on to hold them back...although I am so thankful for a team so well-behaved; with my Seppala's or a crazy sprint team I think I would've crashed into a tree.
    Our run, surprisingly, was rather fast for us at this time of year - 7.11mph. The dog's have been averaging 6.85mph which is about right since we go fairly slow up (they are dragging the 4-wheeler in gear) and then about 8mph down. The focus right now is settling everyone down, getting the team to meld and be comfortable. I was encouraged after a training talk with Scott last week - I'm on the right track! The goal is 1,000 miles in December, first race the 200 mile Eagle Cap in January and then, hopefully, Race to the Sky 350. I don't think I've ever been so excited for the season to get underway!
    There are leaders...and then there are LEADERS! On Friday I put Legolas and Mambo, Saturday Legolas and Summer. They take control of the team and power up the mountains, while leaders (meaning dogs that just run up front) are not so focused. One of the things I'm implimenting from Alaska is letting a few dogs really grow into the lead position. Legolas and Summer are the main two  I'm working on, as well as Mambo, Cougar, Razz and, later, Duke and Zoomey (once they get to know me a bit more). This, in addition to putting dogs in single lead, will do wonders for a dog that leads but just hasn't taken "control" yet. Of course, I've got a couple dogs that just don't take to lead - but that's ok. Once each dog finds his position and gets comfortable, everything goes so much smoother.
    In other kennel news, the seven pups are now on chains. They took to it really well, with less whining and tangles than I've had in the past (with Seppala pups). I can't get over how fast they've grown! They still go on walks, way ahead of me now, but are no longer the tiny things they were when they came here. And they are, by far, the best behaved pups I've ever been around (except for the squabbles that led me to get them moved out of the puppy yard). I just can't wait to see them in harness - they are so uniform and fearless! A huge thank you to Brad VanMeter for entrusting them to me...
    Well, that's all for now. My plan is to introduce each dog in a post, so you know a bit more about each of my team...but that's for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment