Friday, August 28, 2015

Moose Encounter

    Something memorable about training in the fall of 2014 and even on the sled in 2015 was the amount of moose encounters. One sticks out in particular...although there were many more than I care to remember.
    We had run and seen a cow and calf up in the mountains away from the river on the 4-wheeler before, but didn't think much of it the next week when I went out at night. I'd never seen a moose up there before and, since they tend to stay by the river, didn't really think we'd see one again. It's a pretty busy forest access road.
   We were about 4 miles into the run when I looked up and saw something big and black. With the big ears, my first thought was wondering what in the world a mule was doing up there (we passed two ponies earlier - in their pasture). Then I realized it was a moose...the baby/yearling moose (which is quite big). A lot of thoughts went through my head, not the least of which was, "Where is momma?"
    I stopped the dogs and hoped it would move off. But no, it stood there - with the dogs getting excited and starting to drag the 4-wheeler towards it. Did I mention I had added the puppies to this nights run? Of all nights to have the extra power...not!
    It started swinging it's head and coming towards us. I put the 4-wheeler in reverse and called for the dogs to, "Come Haw" - but of course they didn't. It was rather slow motion to me, when it came nose to nose with the dogs. It stepped awkwardly through the first 6 dogs (which happened to be most of my best dogs) and then came running down the 16 dog string. I've heard the moose go after the light, so I clapped my hand over my headlamp and leaned to the side of the 4-wheeler. It came trotting up the other tire track of the road and blew past. I could've reached out and touched it.
    The dogs did not try to turn and follow it - they had gotten quiet and submissive when it came through the team and then excited to keep going forward when it was past. So down the trail we went - my heart pounding and thanking God for the protection.
    The only thing I can think of as a reason for the baby moose to come through the team is that "momma" was behind us - which makes me even more thankful that she didn't think to come join the fun. And in case you're wondering, we never saw them again - even on the way back home that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment