Thursday, June 30, 2016

Food For Dog and Musher: Part 1

    Now that we've gotten the non-edible gear out of the way, let's tackle food! If there's one thing all sled dogs and mushers depend on to keep them going, it's food...


    We'll start with the musher food because I can be honest about what I eat...while there are some secrets about the dog's food I'll have to keep.


    One of the most important things for the musher (and dogs) is staying hydrated. I've come to rely on EmergenC in my water because it tastes good (it makes me want to drink it) and I can water it down or make it really strong. Plus, it helps me stay healthy with all the vitamin C. It's also not that appealing to drink cold (or even lukewarm) water plain when I'm tired...
    I also really like Odwalla juice (which is like a meal) or orange juice. Hot apple cider is great. Hot cocoa is not a favorite of mine - I'd rather have a very chocolaty mocha. When all else fails, though, plain water is very good - especially when you've been helping the dogs up a hill.
   
    Kirk Barnum really helped me with food this year. Cliff bars and Gogurt are awesome - eat one of each and it's like a meal! I also like chocolate and nuts, cheese and sausage. Jerky is ok - depending on my mood and if it's not too salty. If I had access to the "fish jerky" Aaron used in Alaska or smoked Salmon I'd eat that a lot. The biggest thing with the trail food is that you have to be able to eat it rather easily since you're standing on the sled and eating as you go along.
    I love oranges as the first snack of the run (before the freeze or get too cold). I usually leave the truck, let the dogs settle in and eat the orange while I cool off before adding my final layer. Fruit leather is great too but not my favorite because it's too sweet.
    One of my favorite snacks, which I limit, is black licorice. It's chewy and takes some time to chew - keeping me awake even when gum fails. Dried ginger or ginger chews is great for a jolt to wake you up but with a lot of dry foods you have to be careful they don't get wet - stale sesame sticks are NOT appetizing.
    One of the foods I also enjoy (but limit) is cheesecake. It's very filling and if I don't make it too sweet (I prefer plain), doesn't make you crash.
    I'm constantly trying to find new trail foods to try which are healthier (less sugar) on the trail. If you have an idea, let me know and I'll give it a try!
 
    In the checkpoint there's usually food provided, so I try to make myself eat soup. The best soup (in my opinion) is chili or a creamy, cheesy potato soup. Warm garlic bread is awesome. As I write this I had the thought that lasagna would be very good too - maybe I'll try that next year! I do my best to force myself to eat a bowl of something when I come inside and drink a bottle of water. Even if I'm so tired and hungry I don't feel like eating, I always feel better afterwards.


   Just kidding about the secret dog food, but we'll get to it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment