Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Snacking: People Food Drops

    The other night I had the opportunity to see what Leila put in her food drops (people food) for her 300 mile race this weekend - the Northern Lights 300. Here's a list: Pizza, some of the awesome, organic cinnamon roll (I mentioned earlier), chocolate, granola bars, trail mix, energy drink, protein breakfast drink, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, jelly beans, cheese and brownies. I believe she'll send out 5 bags and there will be additional food available at the checkpoints (usually).
    Something she mentioned to me was that on her first (200 mile) race, she just didn't feel like eating and this time she wanted to make sure she packed food she would want to eat - because it's important to eat and drink enought yourself.
    This made me think about what I will want to send out to races and I realized I forgot to mention my favorite trail snack: Jerky and Pepperoni sticks. Back home, my amazing sponsor/butcher Mr. Scheffelmaier, makes really good Jerky and (at our house, famous) Pepperoni sticks. I took the Pepperoni sticks to races last year, and I think the dogs were jealous when I ate them!
    Something to keep in mind with snacks is that they have to be chewable or quickly thawable in the cold. They can be tough (I prefer it, especially when you're trying to stay awake and want to use up time on an easy or boring trail), but they can't be rock hard (chocolate bars just don't work...unless they are cut into bite size pieces!).
    Well, I hope that gives you some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment