Thursday, October 25, 2012

250 miles!

    Well, just over a quarter of the way to our Jan 1st goal! The dogs are muscling up nicely, eating well and I'm thinking I need to let them do a fun, short run on Saturday since we've been grinding away at 2-3hour runs the last two weeks. Attitudes are still good, but I don't want to push it when they're all doing so well...and to think that Zoomey and Duke went from 2 mile runs and started here at 7 miles and haven't looked back...I think they deserve an easy run for that accomplishment!   

    Last week has been busy - both with longer runs and getting my 4-wheeler tuned up (thanks to my older brother!) as well as getting the new (and badly needed!) front tires on. There is now snow in the mountains and with the cooler temperatures, it's time to make sure the dog yard gets ready for winter.
    The puppies have adjusted nicely to their new lives in the yard, I still need to have a couple more stake-outs made to move the boy puppies out of the puppy pen and finish a few barrel houses, but all in good time...the fall list just goes on and on and, once again, I did not get my dog trailer painted and it's been raining. Tomorrow I think I will get the paint and just make sure that it gets painted the next nice day...and we're running out of nice days! Oh, the life of a musher...

    In other news, Scott texted me that Mouse is finally in heat...which means Pepperjack puppies coming in a month or two! I've got to figure out a way to get her down from Alaska, but I'm so excited to get her here and see those pups!

    Have you ever noticed how HAPPY sled dogs are? I've been around several different breeds, but my Alaskan's make me smile the most. They are always eager to run, even when it's rainy and cold and miserable. They eat well, are low maintenance (no chewing, rarely jump on me - unless it's muddy! - and usually don't fight) and can never seem to get enough attention. All in all, they are confident, happy dogs. And it rubs off...
    Our friend's have a German Shepherd that has come to stay with us for a week and a half. Now, Saber is, apparently, a picky eater at home. Not here! She barks, bosses our collies and eats the sled dog food without qualms. A rescue, she's used to being inside and an only dog, but it's been good for her to learn to be an outside dog - I think she's a lot more confident this time than she was before.
    I must confess, the first time she came here I was told she was a completely different dog (in a good way!) when she went home, I had actually done pretty much nothing with her - and when I say nothing, I mean NOTHING out of the ordinary: i.e. food, water, etc. I can take no credit for any better behavior - it has to be the sled dog attitude rubbing off on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment