Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Day

    The New Year is having a cold start - hovered at -40F (at -40, Celsius and Farenheit are equal!) all day. After cold chores, I ate breakfast and was trying to decide what to do for the day. My room stays about 50F during the day - with the woodstove and the electric heater going - so there aren't many options. Usually pull up to the heater and write...
    However, this morning I received a call asking if I would help Bill Cotter and Leila with their tours today. So, at 11am I headed over to give a hand. There were nine Japanese tourists and only one could speak english, so I smiled and nodded a lot and had a blast! Especially watching them enjoy the puppies. Leila and I took photos for them and explained different aspects of the kennel while they waited for their turn to go around the 3 mile loop. With each group, the riders would get off and rush inside to warm up with hot tea or cocoa by the fire.
    As I helped with the dogs and tourists, I kept thinking, "I should/could do this with my dogs at home!" You are reminded by tourists just how exciting running dogs really is...they are seeing it all with fresh eyes and enthusiasm - despite the cold temperatures.

3 comments:

  1. Interacting with people from foreign cultures is always a challenge, but common enthusiasm can make it an enjoyable experience! A fresh look can be helpful in forming a fuller understanding of anything. I'm glad you had the chance to teach some newbies about your passion, despite the frigid air. Happy New Year, Josi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for you Josi, with all the experiences you're getting in my Native Land!!! Wow...50F....tough cookie!! At least it gets that warm.. I guess it could be worse!! :) Happy New Year!! Hugs from back home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you both!
    My room has gotten much warmer now that I've reached some of the dry wood - burns hotter!

    ReplyDelete