Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Race to the Sky 2015 - Part 1

    I meant to have the 2015 Race to the Sky documented before 2016, and now we've come through the 2016 Eagle Cap Extreme already! Time goes by fast when you're on the trail with a dog team...but before I get into our 2016 adventures, let's get caught up on last year!

    Our trails continued to deteriorate after Eagle Cap. We had horrendous rain, which literally washed away our snow. Every run I had less and less trail to work with and even had to drive through a flooded road to get to the river trail (scary!).
    On the bright side, Race to the Sky cancelled their 1st leg (whether it's ceremonial or part of the race, it's the part of the race I like the least) and decided to keep the race on track - with a minor change: the race would start in Seeley Lake, go to White Tail, then back to Seeley, on to Owl Creek and then back through Seeley to White Tail for the final 6 hours mandatory rest...with the finish back at Seeley.
    My run/rest/food had been packed with the assumption of 5 legs, so the change threw me off a bit but I think, like everyone else, I intended to make the best of it.

    Due to the temperatures, we started in the afternoon and the run towards White Tail was uneventful. Climbing part of Huckleberry Pass turned out to be a blessing because of the cooler temperatures up there. Some of the big boys - like Mambo - were really having issues with the temperatures and it gave them a nice 10 mile cool down when we descended back to White Tail to take some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment