Thursday, January 28, 2016

Race to the Sky 2015 - Part 3

    We left Seeley feeling optimistic and the dogs were moving well, even better as it cooled! The trail had been changed from previous years and I thought it was a lot more fun - with beautiful views and a nice, steady climb.
   Going in and out of the mountains seems to take FOREVER and I tried not to worry about it. At last, we began to go down the mountainside on a hard, fast trail. Although the dogs were moving well now, I noticed Razz favoring his shoulder. I took of his booties but by the time we reached Owl Creek I realized he would need dropped. The vet's agreed and I took him over to the dropped dog trailer.
    I was thrilled to have caught up to Laura and Jenny, but figured they'd be gone soon - so set my watch to head out. However, when it came time to go I was surprised to see them hadn't left. I gave some extra time, figuring they were my competition at this point so I'd wait...but it became clear they were not leaving. So I booted up the dogs to go.
    Unfortunately, I had about three dogs with sore wrists - I was going to be left with seven dogs to head out of Owl Creek on a hard, unforgiving trail. As much as it pained me to scratch again, it was for the dogs - I had three yearlings and since Razz is my smoothest moving dog who had never been injured - I worried about more injuries on the youngsters.
    I don't feel bad about the decision, although perhaps I should've conquered the mountain leaving Owl Creek and made it back to Seeley...but what's done is done and this year I look forward to going back and conquering!

No comments:

Post a Comment