Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012

    I would like to wish all my readers a Happy New Year! As the door closes on 2011 I'm reminded of how far God led me last year and I look forward to the new year.
    2011 has taken me farther away from my family than I'd ever imagined and I've learned to rely on my Savior more than ever before. Here's some verses that have encouraged and strengthened me these last few months:

    Genisis 12:1: "...the word of God came to Abram in a vision: "Don't be afraid, Abram. I am your protector; your reward will be very great.""
    Just like Abram, I am sojourning in the far north - a stranger in the land.

    On the 10th of October a verse jumped out at me and I pray I can live it:
    Micah 6:8: "Human being, you have already been told what is good, what the Lord demands of you - no more than to act justly, love grace and walk in purity with your God."

    When I was feeling extremely homesick in early November, I came across 1 Peter 5:7: "Throw all your anxieties upon him, because he cares about you."

    Before coming here, I'd never really appreciated the Psalms. How that has changed! They are full of encouragement when things aren't going like you'd hoped (for me, being homesick!). However, one verse that really jumped out at me is Psalms 111:10: "...the first and foremost point of wisdom is the fear of the Lord; all those living by it gain good common sense. His praise stands forever." Sounds a bit like Proverbs, doesn't it?

    I'm daily reminded that I'm an imperfect person. Alas, how many times I feel pretty good about myself because I "know about God", while others don't acknowledge Him at all. However, I recieved a clear reminder - Matthew 11:19c (Jesus speaking) "...the proof of wisdom is in the actions it produces."

    And finally, just a couple days ago I read another excellent reminder - also from Matthew.
    Matthew 15:18: "But what comes out of your mouth is actually coming from your heart, and that is what makes a person unclean."

    Just some of the things God has been showing me in 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment