Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First run in the dark

    Last night I did my first night run - left the yard at about 2:45pm and got back about 6:30pm. It was a smooth run with my nine dog team - Bananas and Maggot having gone back to Sebastian and Rowdy being out with a wrist injury. Didn't see any moose and had to concentrate on finding the trail at the 32 mile turn around. I actually appreciated Tyler - he kept us on the invisible trail and back to the main trail home!
    I was pretty excited to be able to try out my new headlamp. I'd been told the Coast headlamp at Lowes is a nice, affordable, lightweight, headlamp and I finally got one...so I'd have a backup for my other headlamp. I should've picked one up back home, they were $44.95 up here and $40 back home! I kept it on half brightness and had plenty of light to see the team. The lowest beam is great for chores.
    Today went on a shorter run, it's supposed to get very cold again so I ran today in case I have to take extra time off.

    And now, I have some "notes" from talking sled dogs with Bill Cotter. I'm trying to convince him to write a book...
    Feet: Bill likes dogs with tough feet. This means that it is a consideration in breeding and he supplements with the famous "Black Pill" (also known as the "Cotter Pill") which has oils specifically needed to promote good coats and feet. (This pill is also available for people, Bill told me it will really help your skin in the dry, cold winters here.)
    He doesn't like to use booties because they cause injuries and slow the team down. I asked him under what conditions he booties the dogs and he said, "...the eskimo's have 40 different words to describe snow." In other words, it's hard to explain. However, he was able to tell me he always booties the dogs on rough, icy snow or ice and on windblown or very cold snow (as well as very cold, wet/fresh snow) and not in warm weather. If the dogs are snowballing, you can bootie them or Bill likes to bootie just the rear feet because the front ones are easier to clean out periodically. Also, since booties affect the dogs balance, etc, the front feet (wrists) are more prone to injury when booties are on. To help prevent snowballing you can also trim the hair between the pads.
    Another trick he shared with me was that of taking the booties off 10mi from the checkpoint. This gives the feet time to work out any swelling and prevents sores from the booties. It also works out the "kinks" in the wrists and feet.
    Feet injury care: No foot powders. Either Ophir Gold foot cream or Pink Ointment (can get from the vet - has Betadine in it.)
    Harness rubs: *Blue* Gold Bond powder.
    Soreness or wounds: Mountain Ridge emu oil blend. Bill said he uses it for everything and it's better than Algyval.
    Stretching dogs back: Should be done periodically, especially in a distance race because the dogs are hunched forward as they pull.
    To stretch dog: Bend over dog and grab around the dogs body, right behind the front legs. Lift up and back, until you are holding the dog completely off the ground (back feet off the ground). Hold the dog in this position until the back legs stretch down and touch the ground.
    Range of motion in wrists: Wrists should be able to bend so that the dog's pad touches the back of the front leg. If it can't, something is injured.
    For a distance race: equal run rest time (6hours run/6hours rest or 4hours run/4hours rest). Bill said any dog team will respond well to this schedule. It is used especially when a team is sick or tired out - to bring them back and regain speed. The problem is sleep time for the musher...there isn't much on such a schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment