Friday, December 9, 2011

Alaska: the land of extremes

    A few days ago it was 42 F and raining...if you do the math that's an eighty degree swing in just two weeks (and most of that two weeks was under zero)! Bill Cotter, after living here for forty years, had this to say: "Alaska, the land of extremes." The trail turned to a sheet of ice and I was dreading the possibility of having to navigate it...
    Rainy days seem to be the day for visits. Bill and Leila came over (driving, so the trail wouldn't get punched through) to visit and also to get their second ton of poultry blend (frozen, ground meat) feed. I helped them load it and then went over with them to unload it as well. It got me out of my room and doing something outside, so I was pretty happy. It's much easier than bucking bales of hay!
    A day or two later I decided to go over in the afternoon to see Leila and it so happened that she had the same idea and came over here. The sad part is that she must have slipped inside here before I went over there, so I missed her! I got a laugh out of it, anyway, and had a good time talking dogs with Bill and taking Rocky on a walk.
    It's taken us all week to get decent trails again - dustings of snow every morning and this morning an inch or two. The Burmeister's had a trip to Anchorage, so it was just Scott and I running dogs this week. It was rather nice to be able to make my own breakfast for a change...I like to get up early and get the day going, but when the Burmeister's are home Scott and I have to eat with them which means breakfast is usually served between 10-11am! Way to late for my liking.
    I planned on writing more on my early adventures, but there's so much to write about I think I'll skip it or save it for later and go ahead and introduce Mandy and Hunter Burmeister:
    Mandy is Aaron's wife. From what I understand, she used to train all the dogs with Aaron before Hunter, but now she's too busy. We get along fine, but I've realized just how much my mom does...I miss her so much!
    Hunter is three and, to be completely honest, he's the most spoiled child I've met. That's made it really hard since at our home you didn't have your way in everything and I'm so thankful for that discipline now that I'm older. You know, they say dogs are a lot like kids: I wonder why people tend to demand more obedience from their dogs than their children? I'll have to think about it on my next run and come up with a philosophical essay for you...to say the least, I've learned some valuable life lessons here!
    Not to end on such a note, I'll introduce you to my team. We had a great 22 mile run today and will be moving up to the 26 mile trail tomorrow. I'm so excited about my young leaders, because I'd rather work with them and watch them improve than have Tyler up there messing around - although I have to admite he is doing better now!
    In order of how they were run today (lead to wheel):
    Coldfoot - a yearling of Aaron's. He's not really hard-headed in lead, but he gets along pretty well with everyone and I think that as he grows up he'll get better. He's very willing to please.
    (Little) Ruger - a yearling out of Scott's Pepperjack and a Jeff King dog. He's the super-star of the team and he knows it! On one run he really beat up Coldfoot, and he still bosses him around in lead, but they no longer fight. Just an all-around awesome boy, Mr. Personality. We came back from the run today and he laid right down while I got their after-run treat ready and watched me like, "Come on, we've been waiting FOREVER!" What I like the most about him is how in-tune he is with me. He watches me whenever we stop until I say, "Ok," and we take off.
    Tyler - I think I've told you all about him!
    Hawkeye - The old point/swing dog. Just melts into the team.
    Rocky - My boy! Since being here he's been depressed so I've been taking him on runs and walks to Bill's when I visit them. He'd been running wheel for a while so I thought I'd let him go farther up in the team. His trot looks horrible next to Ruger and Scott's other yearlings who are smooth.
    Urchin - A "purebred" Siberian Husky from Bob Chlupach, who's related to Pepperjack. I was very disappointed to meet him at first, since I came here to work with Alaskan's, but he's been a great little leader and is really growing out of that "shy husky" attitude. Always the first to scream to go. I was thrilled that he actually slowed to a trot for today's run!
    Trig - Doesn't lead, but is great anywhere else.
    Kanuti - Moved her back from the front because she always tries to drag the team to a stop when she goes to the bathroom during the run.
    Razz - A Pepperjack son. Probably my favorite moving dog on the team. Sooooo smooth and effortless. He does what Scott calls a "powertrot" the whole run. I hope he matures and gains confidence so he can run lead eventually. Another dog that is awesome because he watches me so closely!
    Rowdy - Razz's sister. Barks while we run, just like Urchin. She's just soooo excited! Today's run was the first time she ever trotted for more than a few steps. She is so much like Razz, what can I say? Totally awesome! Too excited for lead, but maybe on the longer runs...

     As you can tell, I love my little team. I kind of ignore the older dogs, since they aren't the focus of the team, but every little improvement in the yearlings is exciting!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment