Sunday, November 4, 2012

Why Train Slow?

    I wholeheartedly agree with Scott's training method, which I learned in Alaska. When we've talked since, he's mentioned the speed mentality of mushers in the lower 48...encouraging me not to deviate from what I learned! Of course, if you're training for shorter races it only makes sense to train fast...but for long distance I just don't see the point.
    On the 4-wheeler today I was thinking about how comfortable the dogs were, despite the heat, allowing us to run longer than would otherwise be possible. In fact, though we stopped more often than normal (to take advantage of the puddles), they were not really winded and quickly began to jump and bark, ready to GO!
    My thought was this: If you start out loping, you know your are going to slow down as the run goes on...and the dogs are more stressed/prone to injuries in those first miles when the speed is fastest. However, by leaving the yard at a trot the dogs gradually warm up to their cruising speed...a speed comfortable for all and one which appears to be able to be kept up forever. Basically, you "gain" speed as the run progresses because the dogs aren't being burned up. And another plus - few or no injuries!
    If a team can keep a steady pace throughout a race, isn't that preferrable to going out fast but burning up in the end? In Alaska I was able to see the results of both types of racing...

    I've noticed that my dogs are much easier to control and happier than ever before with this training method. Also, because I'm not pushing them for speed down (or up) hills they put their heads down, place their feet well and pull - confident that they can do anything! The trail we are currently running with the 4-wheeler I could never have attempted with other teams I've trained...it would've been too dangerous because of the steep, long, twisty (trees!) downhill. But, so far (and I owe God a huge Thank You for keeping me and the team safe!), we've made it down without mishap. Whether or not I can do it on the sled is another question for another day...

    Yes, it's hard to look at this year's runs v.s. my runs of 2010/2011. But when I remember I was pushing them to get speed they weren't ready to give, everything comes back into context and I know that when we move to the sled, they'll be ready to move faster. As Scott says, "...the dogs just move differently on snow." And now is the time to lay the groundwork for faster runs later on...I can no longer imagine pushing the dogs to run downhill, a method used among the Seppala mushing crowd, and thus taught to me, when I got into dogs.
   
    Another note: I've never been able to point out my weakest dog with ease. This year, however, the weakest link has shown himself and now I know which dog to use as a gauge for training. While it's hard to limit my more talented athletes, I can see that later on in the season, having the "team gauge" is going to be invaluable...

    Well, I hope this makes some sort of sense...it's harder than I thought, organizing my training thoughts and putting them into words!

No comments:

Post a Comment