Monday, February 13, 2012

Life of ease...

    Now, despite the strenuous work of caring for nearly sixty dogs, there is still quite a bit of down time - especially when the race teams are gone...and now that the Iditarod food drops are done. Of course, I'll only be getting busier for the next few weeks because once Scott and Aaron get back from the Norton Sound Race I desperately need to do some camping with the yearlings to get ready for our 200 mile race, which is the second weekend in March.
     So, what do I do with my spare time? At first it was kind of hard, since at home there's always something to work on. But here there's no work or school. Since I'm not someone who gets bored easily/stays bored for long, I've been able to spend quite a bit of time amusing myself as I work on various writing projects for competitions and publication. At the moment I have taken a break from editing my book and have been writing some short stories. I've also found some great writing resources online, that have helped me learn about submitting stories or articles and even a list of magazines that accept unsolicited manuscripts...but enough of that hobby for now!
    Then there's this blog and facebook. Funny enough, I never did like the idea of getting facebook until coming up here. It is good to be able to keep up on what is happening back home.
    And then, there's reading. Somehow I managed to read at least two 800 page books this winter, and several shorter ones. I'm currently reading Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - it is an abridged version (unfortunately, because I like to read originals), but still very interesting...I find a lot of parallels between ancient Rome and America - as Henry Hazlitt says, "Those who are ignorant of the past are condemned to repeat it."
    When it's warm enough (10 below or warmer), I've also been running. It's going to be extremely hard to go back to running on our mountains at home, but without the daunting prospect of jogging up our driveway, I can run much farther...Of course, I really should run it - I make my dogs do it!
    Well, that about sums up my, "Life of ease and luxury." I wonder if it will be hard to go home and get used to "normal" life again?
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment