Monday, February 13, 2012

Urchin, the Amazing Yearling

    When Leila came on a training run with me, I was discussed my leader problems with her and she suggested that I try Urchin, one of Scott's yearlings, in single lead - since I don't have a really good adult dog to run with him to train him. We tried it for a few miles, but since it was hot and we were going on a 40 mile run, I moved Tyler up for the remainder of the run. However, today I decided to put Urchin in single lead from the beginning...
    From the first, you could see the smile on his face! Urchin took charge of the team and took EVERY command (Gee/Haw) - which he's never done before. I was so proud of him. In the middle of the run, when they were hot and settled down, I went up and praised him a lot and he jumped up (all the dogs lay down when we stop now - they are figuring out to rest when they can!) and started singing to go - as only he can, because he has a really high pitched voice...
    I realized that his confidence was really boosted by the responsibility of running single lead...he enjoyed taking command of the team and charging down the trail. I don't know why I haven't tried this with my dogs at home - I guess I'll start when I get back! In the past I've been afraid of burning out leaders and that fear has caused me to rotate leaders every run. This, in turn, has caused the dogs not to take to the leader's position and "make it their own." The only way a dog will become a good, reliable leader is by running up front, after all!

    Here's some pictures from today's run:
 On the 18 mile loop. I have cell service and texted a picture to my brother after missing his phone call (Hey, it's hard to get the phone when it's buried inside my jacket!). I hope there's no Alaskan law against mushing and texting (or talking on the phone, for that matter!).


 Urchin cooling off during a well-deserved rest stop.


 Urchin on the Goldstream River.


 In the short patch of woods...soooo nice for a change! No wind here...


 The dogs get excited about going through the woods and pick up the pace.


 Urchin taking us around the turn.


 I really liked the order I used today - the dogs did well together.


 Dropping off a bank.


 Around the turn we go!


Almost lost my mittens that I'd set in my sled as I took this picture - the turn was bumpy!


No comments:

Post a Comment