Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Moose

    After several encounters with moose, I've still been unable to get a picture to go with this post...so that part will have to wait. The problem is, when I see a moose, I'm so focused on getting safely by that I don't pull out my phone!
    A couple weeks ago I "complained" to Leila that I hadn't seen many moose on the trail - that I saw more at home than I have in Alaska. All that changed when Scott and Aaron left for their race and I became the first team on the trail in the mornings and, usually, the only person out on the trail system. Of course, another reason I hadn't seen many is because I like to sing to myself and the dogs while I'm out running for hours - I guess I sound so horrible that they don't stick around! Oh well, the dogs are content to humor me...except when I try to hit a high note - then I get some "looks" from the yearlings. The older dogs just shake their heads and sigh, "That lady on the back of the sled really is crazy..."
    Anyway, back to the point of this post!
    Lately I've had a lot of moose encounters - although I think they are with the same three or four moose. They like to hang out about two miles into the run, in the woods between the highway/railroad and houses. I guess the wolves don't like to venture in so close to civilization. There's a cow and calf, a young cow and a bull. The cow and calf are who you have to worry about, usually, since a cow is usually more aggressive to protect her young. Another thing I've found is that it's best not to startle them. If I've been quiet and see fresh moose tracks or spot a moose aways down the trail, I try to say, "Good dogs," or something in a loud voice (at home I used to say, "Get out of the way, Moose!" in a deep, loud voice) to let them know I'm there - usually they take a look at you and get moving.
    The first time I saw moose up close was when we did a 12 mile trail. The cow and calf were inside the turn-around loop. Of course, there's no trees inside the loop, so I was a little afraid she'd come towards us, but they went away towards the woods.
    The next time we saw her and her calf, was two miles into our run when they, again, ceded the trail to us. The dogs got really excited, but stayed on the trail. Just a few hundred yards down the trail I saw the bull in the trail. He stepped off the trail to the right and I considered passing, but remembering our moose at home, I thought I'd give him room in case he preferred the other side. So glad I stopped and put the snowhook in! As I expected, he decided to switch sides and gave us a cocky look as he moved away. The dogs didn't think he was such a tough guy, but he was proud of himself!
    Another day we had to do the same trail twice (out-n-back, out-n-back) to get mileage. On our final run to the kennel, basically at the end of the run, the dogs started really charging - which surprised and pleased me. I looked over, following Razz's focus, and saw the bull in the woods. He took off over the railroad tracks.
    I'm learning to trust Razz when we are in a "moosey" area - he always knows where they are and when his ears go forward you start to look around and try to follow his gaze. That day he had gotten excited every time we passed through the woods, but I'd never looked until the last time. Even now, he still gets excited when we get near spots we've seen moose before. When I see lots of fresh moose tracks, if Razz isn't concerned, I don't worry too much!
    Have you ever seen a moose gallop? I hadn't, until the other day. I'd run the "little" pups and, I thought, scared the moose off the trail pretty well with them, when we came upon the cow and calf. Actually, I didn't see either of them until the cow charged out of the woods on our right - right in front of us! She was intent on getting across to her calf who was a ways off the trail to our left. It was graceful and she looked a lot like a horse.
    Several miles later, Mr. Bull charged in front of us across the trail. The trees and brush were so close that I never could find out exactly where he crossed over (I couldn't find his tracks), but pretty cool. Always love to see moose when they get out of the way...
    Anyway, that's all the moose stories I have for now. They are definitely a trail hazard, but it is amazing how hardy they are and yet how graceful - they can trot so smoothly and fast...and they are great eating!
    Working with sled dogs, seeing moose and all the animal tracks (Lynx, Wolf, Snowshoe Rabbit and Fox, mostly) reminds me that God created some amazing critters!

No comments:

Post a Comment